Saturday 27 February 2016

Some big ideas in arithmetic with Cuisenaire rods


This is a very quick run through of just some of the approaches I'm using with my classes of 8 and 9 year olds. (So quick in fact, it seems like driving down the high street and only just seeing which shops are there. But maybe there's a place for that.) There are a few slips in my narration, but I'll let it stand as it is.



A few years back I made a short video, How I Teach Using Cuisenaire RodsThere weren't actually that many ways of teaching in there, although I was beginning to use the rods more and more.

Since then I've made a lot of progress in my thinking about them and my ways of using them, thanks in huge part to other people.

Caroline Ainsworth's work, based on her Madeleine Goutard's teaching approaches with Cuisenaire rods have been really useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment